Skip to page content
Return to Top

Organizational Handbook 2010-2011



Membership in student organizations can be an especially enriching aspect of the collegiate experience. Working with others to achieve common goals and developing one's individual potential are important benefits of participation in out-of-class activities.


The Student Organizations Handbook is designed to provide information that is essential in planning and implementing activities. If student leaders need further assistance or have additional questions or concerns, they should contact the Office of Student Activities, located on the first floor of the Thompson Student Center. Staff members are available to interpret rules and regulations and to provide support for student groups. 


If you have any questions after reviewing its content, please contact the Office of Student Activities located in Room #103 of the Thompson Student Center. You may also contact us by calling 254-968-9256 or emailing 


Students are responsible for knowing and abiding by the policies and information contained in the student organizational handbook. Changes to the handbook may occur at any time in regards to requirements, deadlines and fees. The organizational handbook is a publication of the Tarleton State University Office of Student Activities. Suggestions can be directed to the Director of Student Activities and the Thompson Student Center at or 254-968-9256. 




Tarleton State University supports the educational experience by providing programs, services, and activities that enhance student learning, growth and development. We encourage students to actively participate in the educational experience through involvement in a student organization. There are 120 recognized student organizations on the Tarleton campus. If you are unable to find an opportunity for involvement, we will assist you in starting a new organization. There is a recognition process that new student organizations must complete to be recognized by the university. This process is designed to give the student organization support while giving the University an opportunity to interact with both officers and the advisor to the organization. 


Why is it important to be recognized? There are several resources and privileges associated with official university recognition. 


  1. Use of Tarleton State University in the name to identify institutional affiliation

  2. Access to campus for meetings, fundraising, publicity and events

  3. Using (at a reduced cost or free) university meeting rooms and facilities

  4. Publicity through university publications (i.e. Student Activities Web Site, University Web Calendar, etc)

  5. Free organizational email address and web site 

  6. Eligible to use certain equipment owned by the Office of Student Activities

  7. Representation in the Student Government Association through the House of Representatives

  8. Applying for funds through the House of Representatives

  9. Eligible for awards at the Leadership and Service Awards Ceremony held each spring


Establishing an Organization 


Before you begin the process of starting a new organization, review the recognized student organizations list on the Student Activities website at and think about the following:


  • Does a recognized organization already exist that addresses your interests? If so, contact Student Activities at 254-968-9256.

  • How will you define your organization's purpose? What's unique about your group? What are your organizational goals and how will you accomplish them? Are there at least four other students who share your interest? Would other students be interested in joining your group? Do you know of a full time faculty/staff employee who would advise your group? What type of activities would your group sponsor?


Student Organizations may be officially recognized when formed for purposes that are consistent with the philosophy and goals of Tarleton State University. New organizations are granted recognition by the Director of Student Activities. In order to achieve recognition, organizations must meet the following criteria:


  • The organization's purpose must be unique in scope and not duplicate existing organizations.

  • A minimum of five (5) members is required to begin a new organization. Membership is limited to full time Tarleton students. Tarleton faculty and staff members may participate but not as official members.

  • Undergraduate members must maintain a 2.00 GPA. Organizational officers should maintain a 2.25 GPA. Organizations are responsible for enforcing the GPA requirements. The Office of Student Activities can assist in verifying member GPA's.

  • A constitution must be filed with the Office of Student Activities and reviewed every five (5) years. Any changes must be filed with the Office of Student Activities immediately.

  • The primary advisor must be a full time faculty or staff member who is willing to ensure the organization is complying with university rules and regulations.

  • An update form must be filed each fall and spring semester. The update form is available on-line by accessing and selecting organizations and then organization index. If your organization is new, select "Establishing A New Organization." If you're updating an existing organization, select "Update Form."

  • The organization must file for a Tax I.D. Number. This number does not grant tax exemption status it is only an identification number. The Office of Student Activities can assist with this process.

  • The organization must agree to conduct its affairs in accordance with University rules and regulations as well as federal and Texas state law.


Tarleton has approximately 120 recognized student organizations. Each organization is categorized into one of the following areas:


  • Club Sports Organizations- affiliated with Recreational Sports that promote particular athletic interests.

  • Departmental Organizations- related to a particular academic area or field of study.

  • Greek Fraternities and Sororities- nationally affiliated societies and organizations for men and women.

  • Honorary Organizations- represent students with high academic standards either by classification or by special areas of study. Some groups are nationally based while others are based locally.

  • Music Organizations- dedicated to the encouragement of the performing arts, particularly music.

  • Professional Organizations- formed to promote a particular interest in a student's professional future career. Most of the professional organizations are nationally based.

  • Religious Organizations- exist to provide religious and social outlets for students.

  • Service/Social Organizations- groups organized (either locally or nationally) to render service to the campus and the Stephenville community and who promote social activities for interested students.

  • Special Interest Organizations- groups organized for a common cause or interest.

  • Spirit Organizations- dedicated to the encouragement of spirit and support of Tarleton Tradition.

  • Student Life Organizations- operate under the umbrella of the Division of Student Life with programs benefiting the entire campus.

Through this variety of organizations, most students find an opportunity to become involved and contribute to campus life at Tarleton State University. However, if you have a particular interest and an existing organization doesn't meet your needs, you may apply to start your own recognized student organization.


Risk Management Training


As outlined in House Bill 2639, institutions of higher education are required to provide a risk management program for members and advisors of student organizations registered at the institutions.
House Bill 2639 states every university must:


  1. Provide the risk management program at least once each academic year for registered student organizations.

  2. Identify which organizations/advisors should be required to attend the program and develop an institutional rule that reflects these requirements.

  3. Develop an online version of the program for off-campus advisors.

  4. Designate which officer positions (president, membership chair, risk management chair, social chair, etc) will be required to attend.

  5. Require the officer/advisor who attends the program to report the contents of the program to the full membership of the organization.

  6. Require the program to address: a. possession and use of alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs, including penalties b. hazing, sexual abuse and harassment, fire and other safety issues including firearms, other weapons or explosive devices, travel to a destination outside the area in which institution is located, behavior at parties and other events held by student organizations.

  7. Adoption by a student organization of a risk management policy.

  8. Require the institution to take attendance, keep record of attendance and impose reasonable sanctions for those persons who do not comply.


Tarleton's policy requires at least two officers of the recognized student organization to attend the training. One of the officers must be the risk management officer. Every organization must have a risk management officer. This duty could be assigned to an existing office or a new officer position could be developed. Once trained, the officers must train the entire organizational membership. Organizational officers will attend this training annually.


All organizational advisors are required to attend the training as well. This is a one-time training for advisors unless changes in laws or training warrant additional training. You do not have to attend the same training as your advisor but it is recommended.

Once trained, the officers/advisors must communicate the information with the entire organizational membership. 

For more information about risk management training visit and select the risk management tab.


Staying Recognized


  • At the beginning of each fall and spring semester, an update form must be filed with the Office of Student Activities for an organization to keep recognition status. The update form is available on line at

  • Changes to Constitutions and bylaws should be re-filed with the Office of Student Activities every five (5) years.

  • Attend required training's as directed by the Office of Student Activities.


Note: When a conflict between university policy and a student organization's constitution and bylaws arises, university policy and procedures will supersede the respective organizations constitution and bylaws to alleviate and/or resolve any discrepancies and/or conflict.




University regulation requires each student organization have a faculty/staff member (full time employee of Tarleton State University) as the primary advisor for the organization. It is in the organization's best interest to have a secondary advisor in case the primary advisor is unavailable. This person plays an important role in the success of the group.

An advisor can provide the following support to an organization:


Provide the organization with historical information about the group.

Enforce university policies and procedures as they relate to student organizations.

Advise the group on liability issues (i.e. alcohol, hazing, etc.).

Encourage members to make reasonable and prudent decisions when planning activities.

Attend organizational meetings whenever possible.

Provide information about the responsibilities associated with good leadership and fellowship.

Introduce new ideas.

Attend activities, sponsored by the group, classified as "open" or involving alcohol from beginning to end.


Recruiting an Advisor


  • Find someone who has time to devote to the organization and who will take the role willingly and seriously.

  • Make sure the potential advisor has a clear understanding of the organization's purpose. It is important to outline his/her duties and the time the position would require. If possible choose someone who shares the same interests of your organization.

  • Allow the person time to consider the offer. This person will be very important to your organization and he/she should not be pressured into taking the position.


Organizational Finances


Student organizations are responsible for their own finances. The university is not responsible for any debt incurred by your organization. Since banking services are not available on campus, your organization is responsible for selecting a bank. We recommend the following:


  • Consider banking at a local institution, it is more accessible for conducting transactions

  • File for a Tax I.D. Number through the Office of Student Activities

  • Have two (2) people on the account signature card. This will help prevent misappropriation of funds (consider your advisor as one of the signatories).

  • Have financial statements sent to an address that will be used semester to semester and one that is checked frequently. You will be able to detect problems much quicker especially when officers change or when members are gone for the summer.

  • Be responsible in your spending habits. Poor financial management could affect your organization for years to come.


Tarleton State University assumes no responsibility for debt incurred by student organizations.


SGA Organizational Representatives


As a recognized student organization you have the opportunity to provide two (2) representatives to the Student Government Association House of Representatives. Representatives are internally elected by the organization and serve the fall and spring semesters in the Student Government Association. The House is responsible for initiating, reviewing and adopting new legislation as well as allocating funds for student organizations. For more information about the House of Representatives, call the Student Government Association at 254-968-9082 or email


House of Representatives Funding


The House of Representatives is a legislative body composed of internally selected representative from each of the recognized student organizations on campus.


Representation is optional for the organizations; however, in order to be eligible for funding, a representative must regularly attend meetings. All recognized organizations have equal representation however, not all organizations are eligible for funding. The House of Representatives will provide a list of organizations that are eligible for funding at the beginning of each semester.


The purpose of the House is to:

  • Initiate, review and adopt legislation Allocate funds to organizations Encourage and promote student participation in activities of the University Promote growth and development of student organizations Promote community service.


If your organization is interested in joining the House of Representatives, please contact the Student Government Association at 254-968-9082.


Organizational Services 


The Office of Student Activities offers a variety of services and resources for recognized student organizations. We encourage you to stop by Student Activities in room 103 of the TSC if you need any type of assistance.




The O-Zone is designed to fit the needs of all organizations on campus. The O-Zone is located on the lower level of the Thompson Student Center in room 34 and has the following hours:


Long Semester-

Monday-Thursday- 10:00 am - 9:00 pm

Friday- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Saturday- Closed

Sunday- 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm. 



Monday-Friday- 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm

Saturday/Sunday- Closed


Below are a few of the services available.


  • Assistance completing activity permits, activity proposals, formal proposals, publicity and student travel forms.

  • Assistance with contract writing and negotiation.

  • Liability waivers for special events.

  • Assistance with organizational programming and leadership advisement.

  • Mailing labels for organizations.

  • Assistance designing publicity.

  • Game Equipment: casino night and twister.

  • Popcorn machine.

  • Access to computer lab, banner markers, paper cutter, electric stapler, and other supplies.

  • Access to copy machine, poster maker, banner paper, laminating machine, button maker, and other supplies. (See prices below.)


    • Posters- $4, with lamination $5

    • Laminating- 10¢ per foot

    • Banner Paper- 10¢ per foot

    • Button Maker- 25¢ per button

    • Helium Tank- 10¢ per balloon (purchaser provides balloons)

    • Copies- 5¢ per sheet


For more information on any of these services please contact us at 254-968-0722.


Activity Permit 


Anytime an organization sponsors a meeting, activity, fundraiser, or event whether held on or off campus, an activity permit is required. The activity permit is used to reserve space, approve the event, and provide information to post the event to the university calendar. Activity permits are available online at Print the permit, complete, obtain the required signatures and return to the Office of Student Activities, TSC #103 for approval. An event is approved when the activity permit is signed by the Director of Student Activities and Thompson Student Center. Activity permits are required five (5) days prior to the event. Organizations who are members of Panhellenic, Interfraternity Council, or the Inter Greek Council should work through the Center for Student Engagement for all activity permits/proposals.


Available Meeting Places 


Tarleton State University has numerous rooms and auditoriums available to reserve for meetings or activities. Most reservable rooms are available to the university community free of charge during normal hours of operation. Special room requests after normal operating hours require a nominal fee. Additional fees for maintenance/custodial services may be required depending on the nature of the event. All buildings are tobacco free. If tobacco products are found following an activity, the group using the room will be held responsible. If furniture is moved for a meeting/event the room must be returned to its original condition immediately following the meeting/event. Room reservations are done through the completion of an activity permit.


Thompson Student Center 


Room 27 is located on the lower floor and has seminar tables and chairs. This room seats 80; however, columns in the room limit vision. A podium is available upon request.


Room 28 is located on the lower floor and has a conference table and chairs with counter space available. This room seats 10.


Room 130 is located on the main floor and has a conference table and chairs. This room seats 20.


The Ballroom is located on the main floor and can be reserved in one section, as 2/3, or in its entirety. One-third will seat 120 at round tables (eight per table). A podium, microphone, screen, stage, concert piano, and a 24’x24’ dance floor are available upon request.


Room 219 is located on the top floor of the Thompson Student Center. The room has tiered seating at tables for 57. The room is equipped with a screen. A podium is available upon request.


A/V equipment is available and can be used in all rooms in the Thompson Student Center. Please ask about technical capabilities when making reservations. A charge will be required for certain reservations.

Rooms for organizational meetings can be reserved by the semester. Organizational meetings must initially fit in the following time blocks:

Block 1- 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Block 2- 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Block 3- 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Additional times outside the blocks are released a few weeks into each semester.


The use of candles is prohibited in any Thompson Student Center conference room. Prior approval is required for candle use in the ballrooms.

Rooms needed for activities or special meetings may be reserved on a first come, first serve basis through an activity permit. If an organization wants a table in the TSC lobby, an activity permit must be filed and the Operations office contacted for arrangements. When a recognized student organization is reserving a room, an Activity Permit is required.


Contact the Thompson Student Center Office at 254-968-9256 for more information or reservations.


Dick Smith Library


Room 106 has a conference table and chairs and seats 12.


Room 225 has a conference table and chairs and seats 8.


The Multipurpose Room can seat up to 100. The room is equipped with DVD/VCR, Enfocus, laptop, two 42" flat panel televisions and phone access. The room also has the capability to receive C-BAND satellite and the campus cable transmission. An adjacent executive conference room seats 12 and has a microwave, refrigerator, and serving counter.


Call the library at 254-968-9450 for more information or reservations.


Academic Buildings 


There are several academic classrooms and auditoriums available in the Agriculture, Business, Engineering Technology, Humanities, Education, Mathematics and Science buildings. These rooms may be reserved by contacting the Registrar's Office at 254-968-9388 or by visiting the office located on the first floor of the Administration building. The rooms and auditoriums range in size to accommodate the needs of both large and small groups.


Outdoor Venues 


Several outdoor areas are available for activities. Heritage Oaks Park and the Hunewell Bandstand (located directly north from Hunewell Hall), the Administration Mall Area, The Dining Hall Patio, and the area in front of the library are just a few. Some parking lots are available and handled upon individual requests. If your organization wishes to reserve an outdoor space, please contact the Office of Student Activities at 254-968-9256.


Miscellaneous Areas and Contacts


Ag Farm - Alan Morgan 254-968-9206

Dining Hall – Tammy Hill 254-968-9445
Dining Hall Patio - Donna Strohmeyer 254-968-9256 
Fine Arts Building - Lori Larue 254-968-9245
Hunewell Bandstand - Donna Strohmeyer 254-968-9256
Langdon Center in Granbury - Janice Horak 817-279-1164 
Recreational Sports Center - Robert Nimmo 254-968-9912
Thompson Student Center Amphitheater – Donna Strohmeyer 254-968-9256
Wisdom Gym - Dr. Steve Crews 254-968-9186


Points to Remember


  • Most facilities are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis and according to size requirements, time, location, and type of event.

  • All university facilities and services are reserved through an activity permit.

  • Organizations may be required to pay a fee for special requests.

  • An activity permit must be completed five (5) days prior to the event for all meetings, programs, fundraisers, etc. This applies to any event on or off campus. Permits are available at

  • Furniture moved to accommodate an event should be returned to its original position, and the room left in a neat and orderly condition.

  • No alcohol is allowed on university property

  • Campus food service must be used for most activities involving food.

  • Prior permission from building managers must be obtained before using candles.

  • Media requests should be made to the appropriate building manager.

Post Office Boxes 

The university post office has post office boxes available for rent by student organizations. Contact the University Post Office in the TSC or call 254-968-9008 for more information.


General Events / Activities Policy 


The following guidelines will help you when planning activities. These policies should be followed when planning events on or off campus.

Each student organization will provide the Office of Student Activities a complete list of its officers, their addresses and phone numbers. This will be done by filing an update form online at the beginning of each fall and spring semester or when changes occur. 

An activity permit is required for any event, meeting or activity that any recognized student organization is sponsoring. This applies to events held on and off campus. 

The time and place of organizational meetings must be approved a minimum of five (5) days prior to the event by the Office of Student Activities through the approval of an activity permit. Activity permits are available online. The permit requires the signatures of the requestor, organization's faculty or staff advisor, the individual responsible for the room reservation (Thompson Student Center, Registrar, Student Activities, etc.) and the Director of Student Activities.


Any student organization sponsoring a fundraising event (on-campus or off-campus) must obtain prior approval from the organization's advisor and the Director of Student Activities through the approval of an activity permit. 

Meetings, activities, events, social affairs, programs or athletic contests may not be held during the final examination period or restricted activity period. The "restricted activity" period is approximately one week prior to finals. The dates of the "restricted activity period" are printed annually in the university catalog. Exceptions may be granted by the appropriate Vice President. 

Intoxicants will not be tolerated at university functions held on the campus of Tarleton State University. Violation of this policy will be sufficient reason for immediate stopping of the social activity in question and suspension of the students participating. Each club or organization is responsible for enforcing this regulation at their own events.


Individual organizations will be held responsible for property damage in any university facility they use. 

Activities will end no later than midnight Sunday through Thursday, unless special approval has been obtained from the Office of Student Activities. 

Due to the increased concern regarding the liability and safety of students and student organizations at Tarleton State University, the Office of Student Activities requires a written activity proposal accompanying the activity permit for any event classified as "open" or including alcoholic beverages. A risk management matrix may also be required. An outline for this proposal and a risk management matrix can be obtained from the Office of Student Activities or online at

Attendance at all organizational activities is limited to currently enrolled Tarleton students and their guests. An activity proposal must accompany the activity permit for approval to host outside guests. 

Failure to comply with any and all university regulations may result in disciplinary action. Approval of activity permits or activity proposals will be granted to recognized student organizations maintaining an active status.


This criteria for maintaining active status includes:

Organizations shall file an update form, by the deadline established by the Office of Student Activities, at the beginning of each long semester. It is the responsibility of the organizational president to submit the necessary documents within three (3) weeks of the first day of classes. Failure to do so will result in the organization being placed on probationary status. 

Organizations shall demonstrate, by their actions, that they are working to achieve their purposes as outlined by their statement of purpose, constitution and by-laws. 

Organizations shall remain in good standing with the university and shall conduct affairs in a lawful manner in accordance with university policies, state, local and federal laws. 

Recognition of an organization may be withdrawn by the Director of Student Activities for non-compliance with rules set forth in the student handbook, organizational handbook and the code of student conduct. Appeals of the revocation of recognition will be made through the Dean of Student Life. All appeals must be made in writing and must be submitted within five days of the date of the revocation letter.




Hazing is against the laws of Tarleton State University and the State of Texas. The Office of Student Activities will enforce all legislation, laws, and regulations pertaining to this issue.


The Texas Legislature enacted a law prohibiting hazing by a person(s) against a student(s) at an educational institution. The law also prohibits the knowing, intentional or reckless failure to report hazing to university authorities. Failure to comply with the specific provisions of the law will result in criminal penalties and fines. A copy of the law, in its entirety, is available from the Office of Student Life or from the Office of Student Activities.

"Hazing" means any intentional, or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in any organization whose members are or include students at an educational institution.


"Hazing" includes, but is not limited to, any type of physical brutality or physical activity, that subjects the student to unreasonable risk or harm or that adversely affects the mental or physical health or safety of the student. (i.e. sleep deprivation, exposure to the elements, calisthenics); activity involving consumption of a food, liquid, alcoholic beverage, liquor, drug, or other substance which subjects the student to an unreasonable risk of harm or which adversely affect the mental or physical health or safety of the student; activity that intimidates or threatens the student with ostracism, that subjects the student to extreme mental stress, shame or humiliation, or that adversely affects the mental health or dignity of the student.


The aforementioned activities are examples of specific hazing offenses only. Any type of activity, which falls within the general definition of hazing, is prohibited under the hazing law. Consent of the individual subjected to the hazing is not a defense to prosecution of an offense under the hazing law. Organizations which are covered under this law include a fraternity, sorority, association, corporation, order, society, chorus, cooperative, corps, club or service, social, or similar group, whose members are primarily students at an educational institution. A "student" includes an individual accepted for admission at an educational institution or an individual who is on vacation from an educational institution and intends to attend that institution during any of its regular sessions after that period of scheduled vacation.


Specific criminal penalties which may be imposed against an individual or organization guilty of an offense under the hazing law include the imposition of fines ranging from $5,000-$10,000 and/or confinement in the county jail for a period of time ranging from 90 days-two years. The specific penalty imposed for a hazing offense depends on the seriousness of the offense and whether or not bodily injury or death to an individual resulted from the hazing incident.


Brief Summary


A person commits an offense under the hazing law if that person:


  • Engages in hazing 

  • Solicits, encourages, directs, aids or attempts to aid another person in engaging in hazing 

  • Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly permits hazing to occur; or has firsthand knowledge of the planning of a specific hazing incident involving a student in an educational institution or firsthand knowledge that a specific hazing incident has occurred, and knowingly fails to report said knowledge in writing to the Office of Student Life or other appropriate officials of the institution 


Risk Management


Risk Management is the process of considering the potential and perceived risk involved in student activities. It includes monitoring organization activities and taking both corrective action and proactive steps to minimize accidental injury and/or loss.


Several types of risk exist that could impact your group:


  • Physical-Physical risks can include things such as food poisoning, injuries that may result from physical activities, injuries that may result from travel related accidents.

  • Reputation-Reputational risks are those things that may result in negative publicity for your organization, TSU, your advisor and/or the venue where you are holding event. 

  • Emotional-Emotional risks are those things that can cause a participant at your event to feel alienated or negatively impact the feelings of a member or members of the TSU community.

  • Financial-Financial risks are those things that negatively impact the fiscal stability of your organization and/or other organizations financially supporting your event.

  • Facilities-Facility risks are those things that may cause property damage, prevent your event from being held (bad weather, not enough space for the number of participants, lack of equipment or materials needed for the event).


Risk must be managed at every event/activity planned, hosted, and promoted by your group. For each event you should identify risky behavior, eliminate or reduce the risk and reassess the activity after the risks have been managed. To do this, the university has created a Risk Management Matrix to help you identify risk and develop responses. This matrix should be completed for every event that is either open to the public or involves alcohol. The matrix may also be required of other events that involve potential risk. 


For more information on risk management, visit and select the risk management tab or stop by the Office of Student Activities, Thompson Student Center Room 103.


Liability Waivers 


Since there are certain inherent dangers associated with some activities, it may be necessary to have participants sign waivers. Waivers should inform participants about dangers associated with the activity including who is responsible for accidents. 

Most waivers state that the participant is responsible for any accidents. A waiver does not excuse your responsibility. It is a tool to inform participants about dangers.


Safety at activities is of the utmost importance. You must take every precaution to sponsor safe activities. 
No matter how safe you plan your activity, accidents are going to happen. It is very important to have a plan of action. Know ahead of time who to call for help. Have easy access to a phone and have the numbers handy.


Most importantly use good judgment. If you don't think anyone at the accident is capable of handling the situation, call for help. Remember, you are responsible for the activity.


All accidents/incidents should be reported to the Office of Student Activities.

The Office of Student Activities can help you write a waiver for any activity. Please contact us if you need help.


Alcohol/Open Events  


Alcohol at an event can be a major cause of problems for the sponsoring organization. It is much safer to organize alcohol-free events. In almost every case, alcohol can be difficult to supervise and may put student leaders in a situation over which they are responsible but have little or no control. While it is not our policy to encourage allowing alcohol at social gatherings, we want to encourage those who drink to do it responsibly.

Tarleton State University is an alcohol and drug free campus; therefore, it is illegal for any student and/or their guest to possess and/or consume alcohol or illegal drugs on campus at any time. 


The university expects students to abide by the laws of the state and local community. The use of alcohol in public areas, academic buildings, residence halls, courtyards, and parking lots is not permitted.


All social gatherings involving alcoholic beverages must be held off campus. Since the minimum drinking age is twenty-one (21), many students will not be of legal age who may be in attendance. It is important to plan events where alcohol is not the primary focus and where food and non-alcoholic beverages are available.


As a recognized student organization, you are expected to take appropriate measures to assure that minors and intoxicated individuals are not consuming alcohol at these events. Organizational leaders and the advisor are responsible for the conduct of the organizations' members and guests. Appropriate safeguards against abusive drinking and conduct should be taken.


Approval of Activities Involving Alcohol


Due to increased concerns with liability and the safety of students, the Office of Student Activities will require a written activity or formal proposal accompanying the activity permit for any event involving alcohol or classified as "open".  “Open” is defined as open to the public, an event that anyone may attend regardless of student status. Events involving alcoholic beverages will require a security services agreement in addition to the activity permit and activity proposal. 

The Risk Management Matrix must be completed and submitted to the Office of Student Activities with the activity permit and activity proposal. This matrix will help you identify potential risk and will guide you to make appropriate changes to your event to address the risk.

Nationally affiliated organizations must submit a copy of their risk management policy. This policy will be reviewed and all requirements must be met prior to the event. 

Activities, publicity, and ticket sales will not be approved until all appropriate paper work has been submitted, reviewed and stipulations therein have been met. These documents must be submitted at least (five) 5 days prior to the event. 

At BYOB events, the following requirements must be met:


  • Police Officers sanctioned by the State of Texas must be employed as security at any event classified as "open" or involving alcoholic beverages. These officers are responsible for enforcing the legal limits as prescribed by the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission as well as checking identification, etc. The security services agreement must be completed outlining the officers’ responsibilities. 

  • The number of officers required for an event will be determined by the Director of Student Activities in cooperation with the agency supplying officers. The fee required for each officer will be determined by the agency. 

  • To be eligible to drink alcoholic beverages at the event, the person must be of legal drinking age and must be stamped on the hand with the appropriate ink stamp or wear a wrist band. Underage participants must also be identified by some means. 

  • Alcohol may be consumed for a maximum of three (3) hours at any one event and consumption must end thirty minutes prior to the end of the event. Exceptions to length of event may be granted by the Director of Student Activities. 

  • No glass containers, kegs, party balls, or hard liquor is allowed at BYOB events. All beverages must be in the original containers. No cups will be allowed into the venue. 

  • A designated driver program must be in place to safely transport anyone unable to drive. Information about this program must be posted in a prominent place at the event. All drivers must complete the university's driver safety training program. Tarleton Alternative Transportation is available on a limited basis to provide safe transport. 

  • A non-alcoholic beverage (water and other beverages) must be available and displayed throughout the time frame of the event. 

  • Food must be available (free of charge) throughout the time frame of the event. (i.e. popcorn, cookies). 

  • No alcohol should be consumed by any person who appears to be intoxicated to the degree that he/she may endanger himself/herself or another. 

  • No alcoholic beverages are allowed in any university facilities, on the campus, or on any university owned property. 

  • No drinking games are allowed. 

  • Members of the sponsoring organization will not consume alcohol before or during the event. 

  • The organization's advisor or approved representative must be present at the activity from beginning to end. 

  • Nationally affiliated organizations may be required to adhere to additional policies as outlined in their risk management policy. 

  • Nationally affiliated Greek social organizations must work through the Coordinator of Leadership Programs on events that involve alcohol. 


Pre-event Planning


  • All activities that are sponsored by a recognized student organization must have the approval of the faculty/staff advisor. 

  • The organization should take the necessary precautions to ensure that consumption of alcohol doesn't detrimentally affect the health and well-being of those who attend the event. Include methods for preventing minors and intoxicated participants from drinking. 

  • Promote party themes instead of alcohol. 

  • Make arrangements with law enforcement personnel and discuss specific job duties. 

  • Designate, before the event, how ID's will be checked. 

  • Utilize ways of preventing consumption of alcohol by minors by using an identification system distinguishing over twenty-one (21) guests from minors. 

  • Work closely with your advisor to comply with established risk management policies. 

  • Coordinate a plan for a designated driver program to safely transport anyone unable to drive.



During the Event


  • Recognize and respect guests' rights not to drink. 

  • Encourage responsible drinking behaviors. 

  • Make sure you have plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages. Consumption of food slows down the body's absorption of alcohol into the blood stream. Avoid serving only salty snacks. 

  • Work closely with law enforcement personnel to enforce appropriate laws and troubleshoot any problems. 

  • Prevent anyone who is under the influence from driving by utilizing designated drivers. 

  • Provide incentives for designated drivers to remain sober by supplying special party favors, free food, coupons, or other treats. 

  • At events where alcohol is being served by a vendor, many of the same policies apply. The formal proposal speaks to the specific information that will need to be supplied about the activity. 

  • If you need assistance in writing an activity proposal or formal proposal, please call Student Activities. 


Security Officers 


All activities involving alcohol require the organization to hire law enforcement officers sanctioned by the State of Texas to work at the event.  The only exception is if the event is held at a third-party establishment that is already providing security. The number of officers required is based on the nature of the event and expected attendance.


Officers may also be required for events classified as "open" (where people other than Tarleton students, faculty and staff will be in attendance). A security services agreement must be submitted with the activity permit and activity proposal or formal proposal for the activity to be considered for approval. Based on information provided in the activity or formal proposal, the Director of Student Activities will determine whether or not officers will be required. Based on information provided in the activity or formal proposal, the Director of Student Activities will determine whether or not officers will be required.




Raffles and the Law

Many student organizations and other affiliated entities use raffles to raise funds for their groups. Raffles are governed by the Charitable Raffle Enabling Act. It permits "qualified organizations" to hold raffles under specific legal conditions. The following information is a summary of the most important provisions of that law:

There are four basic types of entities that qualify under the act:


  1. Associations organized primarily for religious purposes that have been in existence in Texas for at least 10 years. 

  2. Volunteer emergency medical service organizations that do not pay members other than nominal compensation. 

  3. Volunteer fire departments that operate fire-fighting equipment and do not pay members more than nominal compensation. 

  4. Non-profit organizations that have existed for at least three preceding years during which they have had a governing body duly elected by the members and were exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, do not distribute income to members, officers, or governing body, do not devote a substantial part of their activities to attempting to influence legislation or participate in any political campaign. The statutory language regarding organizations is complex, and any organization considering holding a raffle that does not clearly fall within these areas should consult with an attorney before proceeding with a raffle. 

Money cannot be offered as a prize in a raffle. The prizes themselves may have any value but the organization may not purchase any prize valued at over $25,000. Each prize must be in the possession of the organization or it must post a bond for the full amount of the prize value with the county clerk.


A qualified organization may hold only two raffles each calendar year. Tickets may not be advertised statewide or through paid advertisements.


The following information must be printed on each ticket:


  • Name and address of the organization conducting raffle 

  • Name and phone number of an officer of the organization 

  • Price of the ticket 

  • General description of each prize to be awarded that has a value of over $10 

  • Date on which the prize will be awarded

Only members of the organization may sell tickets. No one may be compensated directly or indirectly for organizing or conducting a raffle or selling tickets

Sample Ticket:

Organization Name & Address

Name of Officer, Phone # of Officer

Description of Prize (including estimated cost)

Price of Ticket
Date on which prize will be awarded 

An institution of higher education shall allow the sale of tickets to a raffle by a student organization recognized by the institution at any facility of the institution, subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions.

Specific questions about the raffle laws, as it applies to student organizations, should be directed to the Office of Student Activities. Remember, an activity permit is required five (5) days prior to the start of raffle ticket sales.


Bake Sales


Recognized student organizations are allowed to hold bake sales on campus. An activity permit is required for a bake sale to be approved. In addition to the typical signatures, the Director of Student Activities must sign any activity permit involving the sale of food. 

Requests to sell food items other than baked goods will be handled on an individual basis.


Activity permits for bake sales must be submitted at least five (5) days prior to the event with all required signatures. 

The lobby of the Humanities building, in front of the library and the lobby of the Thompson Student Center are some of the more popular places to hold bake sales. These areas are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Office of Student Activities has the right to refuse approval to prevent overcrowding of areas.


Car Wash


Many organizations sponsor car washes to raise money. Several area businesses welcome student groups to use their parking lots for car washes. Please contact the Office of Student Activities for information on businesses who allow car washes.


The office of Student Activities has a limited supply of self-foaming car wash mitts available for organizational uses. Please contact us if you are interested.


Remember, an activity permit is required five (5) days prior to the event when sponsoring a car wash.


Other Opportunities


Organizations are very clever when it comes to raising funds. Auctions, sales, concerts, mixers, and holiday events are a few examples of successful fundraising events held by student groups. If your organization has a unique idea for a new fundraiser, stop by Student Activities prior to planning the event. We will help you plan and get the event approved.




Are there times when student organizations need a contract? You bet! Contracts are a binding agreement between two parties in which goods or services are being exchanged. Organizations often hire a band or reserve a facility for an event. Contracts are useful in clarifying details about the event. What do you need to know?


Here are some tips:


  • Contracts should state who, what, when, where, why, and how much. 

  • It is important to get your agreement in writing and signed by both parties involved. If there is a problem, courts will generally look at a written contract signed by both parties as a final written expression of the parties. 

  • Do not sign a contract that you can't fulfill. Appropriate changes need to be made because you're held liable for what you sign. 

  • Any changes made to a contract must be initialed and dated by both parties. 

  • It is important not to publicize an activity prior to both parties signing the contract. If an agreement can't be reached, you've misinformed your participants and wasted money. 

  • If you need help understanding or writing a contract, come by the Office of Student Activities for assistance. 


Student Travel 


Student safety is a top priority for Tarleton State University. As a result, the university has developed Student Travel Regulations with the expectation that all student organizations will strictly adhere to its requirements. Tarleton State University rule 13.04-99-TI outlines the travel policy.


The Office of Student Activities reserves the right to review individual travel requests to ensure safety for participants.


Publicity Regulations 


General Information

Interpretation of any publicity policy will be made by the Director of Student Activities. Publicity that does not meet publicity regulations will not be approved for distribution. The Office of Student Activities reserves the right to remove any publicity that doesn't adhere to policy.

All publicity displayed on campus, other than those of academic or administrative departments, is to be approved by the Office of Student Activities before being placed on campus. 

Each sign/flyer must be individually stamped by the Office of Student Activities prior to posting. Exceptions include signs made by the TTS/TTP, cheerleaders, and students running for elective office. These groups must adhere to all other publicity policies. 

Publicity may not be posted more than two weeks prior to the scheduled event. 

Publicity content should be in good taste. No sign may be posted that contains any material that is obscene, vulgar, offensive, libelous, or suggests a misrepresentation of the institution. Interpretation is made by the Director of Student Activities/Thompson Student Center. 

Publicity should not advocate the deliberate violation of any federal, state, local, or university law; or advertise a function involving illegal alcoholic beverages or drugs. 

Publicity advertising alcoholic beverages, including the use of logos, slogans, promotional concepts, etc., is strictly prohibited. Publicity should not promote the use of alcoholic beverages or drugs. The phrase B.Y.O.B. may NOT be used on publicity. 

All publicity material must be removed within 72 hours after the scheduled event. Failure to do so will result in a probationary period for posting publicity. 

The use of paints, whitewash, ink, chalk, or similar materials on any University property is prohibited. 

No holes may be dug on campus. 

No posting on vehicles on university property. 

Students, faculty, and staff may post publicity advertising the one time sale of items, soliciting roommates, etc. However, if the individual is promoting a business, the off campus business/organization policy applies. 

Flyers & Posters

Upon approval by the Office of Student Activities, the flyer/poster may be hung on any designated bulletin board or kiosk on campus. No nails, glues or staple guns may be used. 

The maximum size flyer/poster allowed on bulletin boards is 11" X 17 1/2". 

The maximum size flyer/poster allowed on kiosk(s) is 28" X 22" (poster board size). 

The following areas will not be approved for displaying any type of publicity:

  • trash cans anywhere on campus

  • trees

  • doors of any building

  • windows or glass walls

  • telephone poles

  • inside walls of all buildings

  • light poles

  • vehicles on university property

  • flag poles

  • bathrooms

  • elevators


Table Tents


Thompson Student Center

·         Table tents are not to exceed 6”x12”.

·         Table tents must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to placement.

·         The organization is responsible for the placement and removal of table tents following the activity.

·         Table tents may not by placed for more than one week unless prior approval has been granted.


Dining Hall

·         Table tents are not to exceed 6”x12”.

·         Table tents must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to placement.

·         The Dining Hall Office Manager must be notified prior to the placement of table tents to verify appropriate locations and approval of content.

·         The organization is responsible for the placement and removal of table tents following the activity.

·         Table tents may not by placed for more than one week unless prior approval has been granted.



Outside Banners


  • Banners posted on outside walls must be 3'X4' minimum and 3'X8' maximum. 

  • Banners must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to hanging. 

  • Banners may be hung with duct or masking tape, no glues, nails or staple guns allowed. 

  • The organization is responsible for removing the banner following the activity. 

  • The Administration Building and the Trogdon House are off limits. 

  • Contact the TSC Operations Office at 254-968-9256 for outside banner information. 


Inside Banners


Thompson Student Center

  • Banners are not to exceed 3'x8'. 

  • Banners must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to hanging.

  • Upon approval, banners must be delivered to the TSC Information Desk to be hung by TSC personnel. 

  • TSC personnel will be responsible for taking banners down. 


Residence Hall Lobbies (Bender, Centennial, Hunewell/Hunewell Annex, Texan Village Club House)

  • Banners are not to exceed 3'x8'. 

  • Banners must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to hanging. 

  • The Area Housing Coordinator must be notified prior to hanging banners to verify appropriate locations and appropriate hanging methods. 

  • The organization is responsible for hanging and removing the banner following the activity. 


Dining Hall

·         Banners are not to exceed 3’x5’.

·         Banners must be approved by the Office of Student Activities prior to hanging.

·         The Dining Hall Office Manager must be notified prior to hanging banners to verify appropriate locations and appropriate hanging methods.

·         The organization is responsible for hanging and removing the banner following the activity.

·         Banners may not be hung for more than 30 days.


All Other University Buildings


Banners will be approved on an individual basis for other university buildings. The Director of Student Activities must be contacted to make special arrangements in other facilities. 


Posting in Residence Halls


All requests to distribute publicity in the residence halls should be directed to the Office of Student Activities for approval. 


Once approval has been granted, the Director of Residential Living and Learning must be contacted prior to placing any publicity in residence halls. 


Publicity may be placed in lobby areas ONLY. Typically, publicity is not placed under doors. 


Sandwich Boards/Outdoor Displays 


  • The Office of Student Activities should be notified before sandwich boards/outdoor displays are placed on campus. 

  • Sandwich boards may not be placed inside buildings.

  • Sandwich boards/outdoor displays must be placed in the following designated areas only. For other placement contact the Office of Student Activities for approval.

    • Dining Hall Patio

    • In front of Dick Smith Library

    • South entrance to Thompson Student Center

    • Wisdom Gym main entrance

    • Recreational Center main entrance

    • Southside of the Fine Arts Center

    • Business Building main entrance

  • Sandwich boards/outdoor displays must be placed a minimum of 25 feet from entry doors.

  • Sandwich boards/outdoor displays that contain more than generic information about an organization should have the content of the sign approved prior to being placed on campus. 

  • Sandwich boards/outdoor displays must be removed when requested by the Office of Student Activities for special occasions or circumstances. 

  • Extended times that sandwich boards/outdoor displays may be out on campus will be considered on an individual basis. 

  • All sandwich boards/outdoor displays must be removed at the end of each semester prior to restricted activities or at the request of the Director of Student Activities. 

  • It is the responsibility of the organization to keep sandwich boards/outdoor displays standing upright and in good condition while on campus. 

  • Sandwich board size may not exceed 2 1/2' x 4'. 

  • Outdoor display size must receive prior approval from the Director of Student Activities. 


Yard Signs


All yard signs should be approved by Student Activities before being placed on campus.


Yard signs may be placed on any grassy area on campus, a minimum of 18 inches away from sidewalks and/or streets.


No more than five (5) yards signs may be placed on campus at any time for any organization or event unless the Director of Student Activities grants prior approval.


Off Campus Business/Organization


  • Permission must be obtained from the Director of Student Activities to solicit or distribute advertising or handbills on University property. 

  • Specially designated bulletin boards are available for off-campus businesses and organizations. 

  • The Director of Student Activities will determine the number of flyers that may be posted in these areas. 

  • No publicity may be placed on vehicles located on university property. 

  • Off campus businesses and organizations may set up a table for solicitation purposes. Tables are available in the Thompson Student Center by reservation only. The cost is $150.00 for the first day and $100.00 every day thereafter. 


The J-TAC offers several publicity options. Contact the J-TAC office at 254-968-9058 for more information. 


Political Signs


  • Only recognized student organizations will be allowed to place signs on campus. An activity permit must be completed and approved through Student Activities prior to placing signs on campus.

  • Only 8 signs per party may be placed on campus. Not 8 per organization, 8 signs per democrat, republican, etc. The signs may not exceed 24" x 18".

  • The signs may be placed in front of the library or in University Park. This gives the group visibility to campus traffic and community traffic without impeding foot traffic.

  • Each sign must have the name of the supporting organization on the sign. This will identify who is responsible for placing signs on campus.

  • In each location, a sign will be placed by Student Activities that reads:

"By policy Tarleton State University is required to remain neutral in political activities. The use of Tarleton facilities and property by candidates and political organizations does not imply or indicate support for any candidate or political party." 

  • All signs must be removed the day following the elections.


Additional Publicity Options

Several facilities offer special publicity options. Table tents can be used in the Thompson Student Center (254-968-9256) and Dining Hall (254-968-9445). Contact these areas for further information about the use of table tents.

An electronic message system is available in the Thompson Student Center. Contact the Operations Office at 254-968-9256 for further information.

An electronic sign located in the parking lot of Memorial Stadium is available for messages. Student Organizations may display a message 3 days prior to an event at no charge. Additional days cost $5.00/day. Contact Susan Burton at 254-968-9185 for further information.

Any other types of publicity not covered in this section should be cleared with the Office of Student Activities prior to publicizing.

Email Address 

The Office of Student Activities as well as other university departments use the email system to disseminate information. To obtain an email address for your organization, have your advisor contact Information Resources at 254-968-9885.

Post to the Gateway 

Student organizations may advertise using the Gateway system once the Office of Student Activities approves an activity permit. The Gateway can be used for official university business only. Once the permit is filed, send the email to the Director of Student Activities at No attachments can be sent. All information must be included in the body of the email. A contact name and email address must be included in the message. 

Office of Student Activities Web Site 

The Office of Student Activities maintains a website that provides valuable information to student organizations. Please visit for information on student organizations including an organizational directory. The most updated information on student organizations is contained on this site.

University Web Calendar 

When an activity permit is filed with the Office of Student Activities, the information is posted to the university web calendar. Please make a note on the permit if the activity your organization is hosting is closed to members only. This calendar is an excellent tool when planning events or looking for ways to be involved. The web calendar can be accessed from the main university web page at "University Calendar" highlights a select number of weekly events. By selecting "University Calendar" additional categories can be searched for specific events. The calendar can be searched by category or by date.