Harold Rathburn, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biology
P. O. Box T-0100
Department of Biological Sciences
Tarleton State University
Stephenville, Texas 76402
Office: New Science Buildling, Room 313
My Office hours are MWThF 10-11:30am. Notice no Tuesday office hours. If these times don't work for you, please call or e to set a date/time.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, 1989, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
- B.S. Biology, 1981, Midwestern State University, Wichita Falls, Texas
- Rathburn H, Song J and Hedgcoth C. 1993. Cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration in wheat are not associated with rearrangements of mitochondrial DNA in the gene regions for cob, coxII, or coxI. Plant Mol Biol, 21:195-201.
- Rathburn H and Hedgcoth C 1992. Maize S1 and S2 sequences in wheat mitochondrial DNA. Plant Science, 85:151-160.
- Guzo D, Rathburn H, Guthrie K and Dougherty E. 1992. Viral and host cellular transcription in Autographa californica nuclear polyhedrosis virus infected gypsy moth cell lines. J Virology, 66:2966-2972.
- Rathburn H and Hedgcoth C. 1991. A chimeric open reading frame in the 5' flanking region of coxI in mitochondrial DNA from cytoplasmic male sterile wheat. Plant Mol Biol, 16:909-912.
- Rathburn, H., Czapla, T. H., and Schubert, K. R. 1997. Pentaclethera macroloba protein having insecticidal properties.
- Schubert, K. R., Riemann-Philipps, U., Czapla, T. H., and Rathburn, H. 1998. Pentaclethra macroloba derived substances having insecticide, agglutination and aminopeptidase inhibition activity.
RESEARCH INTERESTS: Under construction!!
SUMMER '08 COURSES:
- General Biology 1214
- Section 410 meets at 8pm MTWThF in Room 110 of the New Science Bldg.
- Required textbook:Starr and Taggart. Biology. 6th edition. 2006
- If you do not understand the lecture material try Rathburn's Biology 1214 Links
- Practicum--Molecular Biology 5993
- Section 410 meets at 1pm MTWThF in Room 320 of the New Science Bldg.
- Required textbook: None, but a laboratory notebook is required. It would also be an excellent idea to purchase an Extra-Fine Sharpie, matches, and a good pair of scissors.
One of my interests is soccer. At Tarleton State University I now watch more soccer than I play. I occasionally check out the TV schedule for soccer to see what's on the air here in Stephenville.
But I still play. We formed and entered an Over 30 team, Quest FC, into the Ft Worth Adult Soccer Association. We have been promoted to the First Division for the Fall 2006 campaign. We won Division 2 during Summer 2006. I am the oldest on the team, and sometimes, on the pitch! And I do play!! I do not collect splinters in my butt. So far in the Fall 2006 season I have a hat trick to increase my total goals scored to four.
I have also joined the Over 40 Arlington Patriots of the Arlington Adult Soccer Assn. We play Sunday afternoons. Again I play, but obviously not the eldest on this team. We are not a very good team, but it is fun.
Being a former member of the Midwestern State University soccer team from 1976-80, and a member of the MSU Soccer Alumni Assc since 1981, I also check out the schedule of the MSU soccer squad to find out when I can travel to Wichita Falls to watch them play. And I also check on MSU women's schedule--the more soccer, the better.
In addition to varsity soccer at MSU, I also was a member of the Kansas State U Soccer Club throughout most of the 1980's and club president, 1985-86. I rarely get up to Manhattan to watch them play.
I have reduced my involvement with the Stephenville Soccer Association to refereeing and referee assignor with Mike Lingle. I am currently a Grade 8 USSF (since 2000) and UIL referee (since 2001). I help coach a select team with Lane Sharp. Our team is composed mostly of boys from Stephenville. We are Quest FC and play in Division I of the U16 Boys of the Arlington Premier Invitational League. In the just completed Spring 2006 season of the API, the boys finished third in Division I of the U15B with a 4-2-2 record and fourteen points. Lane and I are very proud of the boys. They worked hard through a difficult season. We anticipate the Fall 2006 season to be much better.
I love to play racquetball now-a-days. Check out my win/loss/tie records against various opponents. I get special delight from my victories against those young students! If you want to set up a day (I play during the lunch hour MWF) for a game or two, you know how to contact me.
I also have a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air. It needs restoration--translation: I need time and money. Someday I will get pictures of it on here.
This page was last updated on October 16, 2006.
Other TSU Biological Sciences Sites: