Chapter 5 Notes
Recruiting managers use requisition to:
Specify job and salary
Request approval to fill position
Initiate hiring procedures (internal/external)
HR managers must be concerned with:
Time to recruit
Cost of recruiting
Number of staff needed
· Need to assess the time lapse in each phase. Average time to recruit—professional time is 3 months for requisition to start.
Sources of Recruits
· Different groups of people use different sources; women and blacks use more traditional sources.
Ø Newspaper—technical sales, clerical
Ø Internal Source-best for managers
Ø Walk ins-production workers
Open “cast a wide net” (broad labor market)
Closed (idiosyncratic jobs, in particular)
Targeted—attractive message in tight labor market
Relating message—a lot of applicants, turnover is a problem
Recruitment Guide: links necessary strategy to sources of equal candidate applicants.
Record Message Content: use job requirements and job rewards matrices.
· Use targeted, attractive message when recruiting in tight labor market.
· Traditional messages are vague.
· RJP – Be honest; balance really good and really bad. RJP allows individuals to self-select whether to enter the applicant pool or not. When realistic messages are used, the applicant pool increases and turnover is reduced.
· EEO/AA -- Watch education levels, health/medical information, sex tone.
· Work itself must be the focus – not individual factors
Recommendations and Reference Checks
· Education/Employment History
· Applicants character
· Applicants performance
· Written recommendations are not very discriminating (no variance.)
Stats used to measure yield ratios:
· 50% of technical job applicants accept and most non technical accept employment offers.