Return to Top
- In the years ahead, environmental issues will continue to be one of the dominant problems in our society. Specialists play a critical role in protecting the environment, but grappling with environmental concerns frequently requires knowledge and experience in more than one discipline.
- Professionals are needed with a solid background in science-related fields who can integrate across many areas of interdisciplinary study. Success in the environmental industry requires not only strong technical skills (the ability to observe, record, and interpret data accurately), but also the ability to communicate effectively your findings (both verbally and in writing), project management capabilities (organizational skills), and the ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- For this reason, Tarleton State University developed the Master of Science in Environmental Science. This is an interdisciplinary program in which students, in conjunction with faculty and other professionals with wide-ranging backgrounds, will be provided with the scientific knowledge and training to better understand and resolve environmental problems. This program will be particularly beneficial to students intending to enter the workforce when they finish. It will also be of interest to those students already in the workforce seeking to improve their skills by pursuing an advanced degree.
- The focus of the Environmental Science Program at Tarleton State University is in the area of water, both surface and groundwater, and natural resource management. Graduates are provided with the principles to work in all types of environmental settings, but are uniquely prepared to work with issues related to water and resource management.
- This program addresses the complex and interdisciplinary aspects of these fields by exposing students to varied disciplines: the biological and physical sciences in which problems can be identified and measured; engineering and hydrology which can define technological solutions, and legal and policy aspects which allow analysis and formulation of appropriate and workable solutions. Through the program, a student gains breadth in relevant areas of environmental science while developing depth in an area specialty.
- Our faculty is uniquely qualified to help students explore this field of study. Many of our faculty have extensive experience in the workplace in the area of environmental studies. Others have done extensive research on environmental problems.
- The core curriculum is designed to provide the diversity of knowledge and interdisciplinary experience needed in environmental studies. Although a thesis is not required for the MS in Environmental Science, research is an important component of graduate study. Students can join professors and researchers from associated institutes to explore a multitude of interdisciplinary research topics.