In this module, we will examine the rotational motion of objects. Using polar coordinates, we determine angular analogs for many past concepts in mechanics including position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, inertia, and momentum. concept of linear momentum and its connection to forces. This will will enable us to use our past experience with motion problems and symbol substitution (The Big Board) to solve a wide range of rotational motion problems including rotational motion graphs and constant angular acceleration problems.
- Printable Outline Notes on Rotation - Pdf
- Angular Position - Video
- Angular Velocity - Video
- Angular Acceleration - Video
- Relationship Between Linear and Rotation Variable (Big Board) - Video
- Extra Problems - Pdf
- Rotation Graph Problem 1 - Video
- Rotational Kinematics Problem - Video
- Module Learning Objectives
- Return To Class Home Page
Physics Website Links
- 1. Khan Academy Rotation
- 2. MIT Rotational Motion
- 3. Mechanical Universe "Torque"
- 4. Ginacoli Textbook Website
Tarleton Physics Links
Click on on one of the graphic icons and explore our website further to see what makes physics at Tarleton unique!!
One of the best equipped undergraduate programs in the US!!
- 32" Telescope
- Tandem Accelerator
- Electron Microscope
- X-ray Diffraction System
- Leybold CT System
- Laser Facility
Specialty tracks to match your career needs:
- Medical Physics - Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, etc.
- High School Teaching - Math/Physics or Physics/Chemistry
- Nuclear Engineering/Nuclear Physics (Tarleton-Texas A&M Partnership)
- Classical Track - Get a Second Degree in Math, Computer Science, Chemistry, Business, etc. or Prepare for Law School
We offer our students courses not generally found at smaller institutions like:
- Computational Physics
- Medical Physics I & II
- Microwave Theory
- Nuclear Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Principles of Nuclear Engineering
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Graduate Quantum Mechanics
- Graduate Mechanics