Angular Momentum & Rolling Without Slipping
In this module, we will examine the concept of angular momentum and its relationship to torque. We will then discover when the angular momentum of a system is conserved. This powerful conservation law related to rotational symmetry of the Universe is of great importance in many practical situations especially analyzing central force systems.
- Angular Momentum Notes- Pdf
- Definition of Angular Momentum - Video
- Newton II and Conservation of Angular Momentum - Video
- Rotating Platform and Conservation of Angular Momentum - Video
- Module Learning Objectives
- Return To Class Home Page
Physics Website Links
- 1. Khan Academy Rotation
- 2. MIT Rotational Motion
- 3. Mechanical Universe "Torque"
- 4. Ginacoli Textbook Website
Tarleton Physics Links
Click on on one of the graphic icons and explore our website further to see what makes physics at Tarleton unique!!
One of the best equipped undergraduate programs in the US!!
- 32" Telescope
- Tandem Accelerator
- Electron Microscope
- X-ray Diffraction System
- Leybold CT System
- Laser Facility
Specialty tracks to match your career needs:
- Medical Physics - Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, etc.
- High School Teaching - Math/Physics or Physics/Chemistry
- Nuclear Engineering/Nuclear Physics (Tarleton-Texas A&M Partnership)
- Classical Track - Get a Second Degree in Math, Computer Science, Chemistry, Business, etc. or Prepare for Law School
We offer our students courses not generally found at smaller institutions like:
- Computational Physics
- Medical Physics I & II
- Microwave Theory
- Nuclear Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Principles of Nuclear Engineering
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Graduate Quantum Mechanics
- Graduate Mechanics