Department of Engineering and Physics
Real World Summer Merit Science and Engineering Technology Camp 2013
Dr. Marble has submitted a grant to the Texas Workforce Commission to host another camp in the summer of 2013. We will update the website as soon as we learn if the state will be funding the camp.
If funding is approved the camp will following a similar pattern to the 2011 camp presently described on the website except that it again increase in size with additional educational opportunities for students including a chemistry enrichment area where interested student's can learn about the synthesis and detection of an insecticide.
Real World Summer Merit Science and Engineering Technology Camp 2011
The Department of Engineering and Physics along with the Department of Engineering Technology offers the 2011 Real World Science and Engineering Camps on the Tarleton State University campus in Stephenville, Texas. Each camp is a two week camp designed to provide high achieving math and science students who have just completed their freshman, sophomores, or junior year of high school in Texas with the opportunity to:
- learn about career opportunities in science and technology;
- learn skills necessary for university success;
- learn engineering modeling and construction techniques
- do in-depth study including hands on activities or research in one of four STEM enrichment areas working with a Tarleton faculty member;
- go on visits to a nuclear power plant and other industrial sites; and
- have fun with other bright high school and university students interested in science and engineering.
During the first week of the camp, student's in the Tarleton Real World summer camp will select from one of the following four STEM enrichment areas for more in depth study:
- Environmental Engineering;
- Computer Science and Robotics;
- Lasers and Electronics;
- Nuclear and Medical Physics.
- Session 1: Evening of Sunday June 5 to Afternoon of Saturday June 18
- Session 2: Evening of Sunday June 19 to Afternoon of Saturday July 2
Housing & Food
Students will be housed in one of Tarleton's Residential Living & Learning dorm or apartment and Residential Dorm Coordinators will be on site 24/7. Each dorm or apartment is furnished and includes basic cable and high speed internet access. Laundry facilities are available on site using Texan Bucks. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner meals will be provided by the camp for each day of the camp. There is no dinner meal on Sunday evening check-in prior to the start of camp or on the Saturday after the end of the camp.
Camp Cost & Eligibility:
Student - $0 (Scholarships from the Texas Workforce Commission cover the $1603.00 Camp Cost )
Camper Information Page
If you have been accepted to the camp then the following link will take you to a page listing everything you need to know when you get to the camp.
Scholarship & Camp Application (CLOSED)
We have made our initial camp selections for this year's camp and have a large waiting list. If you didn't get a completed application to us for this year's camp then hopefully, we will get funded to run a camp again next year and you will be able to apply at that time. If you have questions, contact Dr. Marble at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 254-968-9880.
Student's wishing to apply for the Real World Summer Merit Science and Engineering Technology Camp need to:
- Complete the on-line application
- Arrange to have one of their present or past counselors, math, or science teachers either mail or scan and email a letter of reference. The letter should speak to the students enthusiasm and aptitude in science and math as well as any personal factors which would make the student a good candidate for the camp.
- Mailing Address:
Real World Summer Merit Science and Engineering Technology Camp
Tarleton State University Physics Program
Stephenville, Texas 76402
- Email Letters:
For more information about the camps, contact Dr. Marble at 254-968-9880.