College of Liberal & Fine Arts
The earliest academies advanced human knowledge through philosophy, critical thinking, and debate. Now, over two millennia later, these methods remain at the core of today's universities and in the curriculum of the College of Liberal and Fine Arts. We align ourselves with Tarleton State University's mission to provide an academically challenging education through exemplary teaching, significant research, and inspired creativity. To this end, the College mission is:
- To achieve the highest levels of academic rigor by challenging students to develop and employ higher-order thinking skills as they clearly and effectively communicate and debate their ideas with others;
- To support and enhance the student-centered mission of Tarleton State University through providing our students with a comprehensive general education curriculum of exceptional quality;
- To provide a globalized curriculum through study-abroad and study-away experiences, through interaction with a diversity of cultures, languages, and perspectives within and beyond America;
- To engage our quest for human knowledge through forward-thinking faculty research, publication, and student engagement as well as applied learning experiences beyond the classroom;
- To foster creative expression and artistic value through arts, performances, presentations, and activities;
- To encourage and prepare students to excel in their chosen professional fields and to contribute as leaders of integrity in human society;
- To integrate ourselves fully into our community, state and beyond through programming, service, cultural offerings, the arts, and global outreach.
COLFA Faculty receive awards for 2014 - 2015
COLFA Faculty members recently were awarded for the 2014 - 2015 year. (left to right) Dean Kelli C. Styron, College of Liberal and Fine Arts, with Dr. Gay Wakefield, Recipient of the Barry B. Thompson Service Faculty Award, Dr. Heather L. Hawk, Recipient of the OA Grant Excellence in Teaching Faculty Award, Dr. Janet L. Schmelzer, Recipient of the Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Faculty Award, and Dr. Karen Murray, Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs & Provost, Tarleton State University
Message from the Dean
This video was produced by Tarleton student Cam Rich for the College of Liberal and Fine Arts.
News & Events
- View the Late Dr. Chris Guthrie at, "The Last Lecture Series"
- Tarleton Summer Studio presents 'Steel Magnolias'
- Join us for the September 2015 Anniversary of Camp Bowie!
International Programs and Study Abroad Coordinator
"My favorite thing about Tarleton are all the warm people that make up the campus. Tarleton offers a great feeling of inclusion and helpfulness everywhere you go."